Matthew C Good : Musician, Software Engineer, Hobbyist.

Posts Tagged make

PWM Pedal

I was scrounging around yesterday, looking for something I could build/make…  When I realized that with but one quick trip to Radio Shack, I could be the neato PWM guitar effect pedal that Collin Cunningham video demo’d for Make Magazine.  So I did:

PWM pedal (foreground) with a few homebuilt friends

PWM pedal (foreground) with a few homebuilt friends

Here’s the guts:

PWM Guts

PWM Guts

It’s a really cool pedal.  Way different animal than other guitar effects.  It makes sounds that most closely resemble a synthesizer.  Hope to use it for some fake-synth parts on some of my tunes in the future.  It’s kinda “glitchy” though, which I think is by design.  But every now and then the pedal does something weird, and I can’t tell if there’s something wrong with the it, or if that’s just the way the weird pedal sounds.  For instance, it doesn’t always pick up every note, and I don’t know if that’s just how it works (it *is* glitchy) or if I’ve got something loose in there.  I’ve also got some rhythmic clicking going on when the pedal is engaged but I’m not playing.  I don’t think this is umm… desired behavior, but I checked my wiring and I think it looks good.  It’s not awful, and since I mostly do recording, I can edit it out fairly easily, but it would be much more nice if it just didn’t happen in the first place.  If I figure it out, I’ll update the post.

Good Vibrations

My tremolo pedal is done.  This is my version of the Baja Trembulator, which i have christened “Good Vibrations.”  A little overspray on the text stencil, but that’s okay.  I’m not very good at this kind of thing, so I’ll take what I can get.

It. Sounds. Awesome.

Homemade “Vactrol” using a red led and a photoresistor in some heat-shrink tubing.  Very fun.  Have to build one of these for Chase now.

Make-ing Things

I’ve been busily  making stuff.  Here’s what’s been keeping me busy:

This is my version of a Woolly Mammoth guitar pedal I’m going to call “Mastodon Dave.” This is the test wiring.  Yet to be done is to get Kristin to paint the case, and then I’ll do the final wiring.

I’m working on a balsa glider with plans I got from (the incomparable) Make Magazine.  Here I am working on the critical step of joining the two sides of the fuselage together.

You can see that the two sides are more or less straight.  After doing some more finicky work, sanding, gluing, tweaking, and fussing, it looks even a little better now.  In the background of the above photo, you can see my new telescope – the latest accoutrement for my long series of intellectual obsessions.

The fuselage nearing completion.  Shaping the nose cone was a little hard.

Here’s a little trick I picked up from this guy’s photoset – bevel the edges of the equipment bay hatch so it will slide in and out rather than tack-gluing it or using tabs like the plans said.  I am really happy with the job I did on it, too, and when it is closed, you can barely tell there are two seams there.

I’m also working on the physical hardware for the sensors for my Fishapp. It’s coming along well, but slowly, as the mounting and hardware is the hardest thing about those kinds of projects for me.

Happy Making!